Saturday, October 3, 2009

Sylvia Ji

As I have recently embarked on my journey of exploring ways to depict flawed beauty, I remembered an artist whose work, while always beautiful, felt as if there was something deeper and darker beneath the surface. And after a little searching, I successfully tracked her down! Sylvia Ji is a 27 year old painter from San Fransisco. She graduated from the Academy of Art University of San Francisco with a BFA in Traditional Illustration. Despite only seeing her work once, it had an intense impact on me and as much as I was drawn to the beauty of her imagery,I felt a definite sense of the darker side to the work. What I immediatly felt was confirmed as I read the "about" section on Ji's biography. Her work is described as "Hauntingly beautiful images brimming with sexual provocation mix with a sense of consternation, hinting that all is not as well as it may initially appear."










Paintings themed upon Mexico's Day of the Dead:


www.sylviaji.com

No comments:

Post a Comment